Monday, September 3, 2007

Onsen

Today we went to a massive department store called Takashimaya. There are 8 floors and each is enormous. We didn't have time to visit all the departments so we spent most of our time in the basement where they sell food. I took tons of pictures to try to capture the feeling of this space but I could not capture the smells and sounds or the feeling of wanting to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner there every day for the next month in order to be able to try everything once.









Check out the 10 dollar peaches.And the $15 grapes.


Afterwards we drove to the countryside to an onsen on a lake in the mountains. It is so beautiful and peaceful here and the meals they serve are elaborate and traditional with lots of fresh fish, some of it raw.


What do you think of this breakfast?

Noah has decided he likes soba noodles, which is a big step for the kid - we are working on him trying new things but meals here are definitely presenting him with challenges. We have another week so I'm still crossing my fingers that he'll decide to start eating rice...
Tomorrow we are going to Amami Oshima - the little tropical island where I lived for a year. I don't know what kind of internet access I'll be able to find there... looking forward to going to the beach!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HI Amy,
THese pictures are wonderful...it looks like you are having an incredible time in Japan, give my love to everyone.
safe travels,
love
Penni

anxiousdog said...

Yummy!! Everything looks so delicious! Glad the kids are enjoying Japan too!